(1982-88) The newly emerging interactive online industries had to build a large number of pages that could be updated easily, were platform independent, and retained some “meta-information” intelligence about themselves.
We didn’t really have many standards in the interactive industry just yet, so I invented my own data-tagging system: a combination of HTML, CSS, Tagging and Templates.
During the “first wave” of online interactivity in the 1980’s it became clear that Interactivity must handle 4 jobs
Metadata tagging is Information Architecture
The separation of data Content from presentational Context allows us to provide Content Integration through Context Management.
Here are the products which The Communication Studio put on the market to support the “first wave” of interactive services in the US between 1984 and 1988.
- This productivity tool lets you quickly edit graphically sophisticated pages through a simple Template and Clip Art-driven design tool.
- This fully-featured site platform is targeted as a standalone self-service information “kiosk” that can be updated online.
- This billboard presentation manager lets you create, edit and present a slideshow on any computergraphic device.
- This technical tool displays the underlying code of a NAPLPS computergraphic file with referential annotation.
- Our Clip Art imagery was specifically designed for use with TextUp templates.
- This software page generator engine takes a “bare bones” simple text file, automatically reformats the data in it into graphic pages.
These were some early software concepts that The Communication Studio prototyped, but never fully marketed during the “first wave” of interactivity in the early-to-mid 80’s.
Some of the dreamware concepts were kind of forward-looking.
John Vaughan and Bill Porter in the loft (1983)
- Integrated Music/Graphic Construction Set wedded to the MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) standard for “musical communication”
- Manage presentational attributes modularly and dynamically.
- The graphical sophistication and inherent animation of early interactive platforms in the US – lent themselves particularly well to gaming.
Our Software Clients
- Corporate Staff Services Intranet and Public Kiosk
- Internal usage, productivity consulting, China Comm 84, Prodigy
- Page creation for campus info system
- Direct in-store marketing and Cable TV ad channel
- Publishing tool for Electronic Yellow Pages & online advertising
- Electronic signage billboard for convention Center
- Home information system
- Internal corporate business systems
- Publishing “front end” for mainframe systems
- Page creation tool for videodisk integration
- Billboarding tools for electronic signage
- Publishing support for online consumer service
London (UK) Docklands Development
- Public access kiosk
National Bureau of Standards
- Assessment of interactive standards
- College interactive billboard
Herman Hospital IFCD
- Hospital public & private info systems
© The Communication Studio LLC